The last time I read The New Testament was in the mission
field. As I studied I focused on the
words of Jesus Christ. One scripture I
came to love and better understand was Matthew 12:36, 37. The Savior spoke these words; “…every idle
word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of
judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be
justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.”
When looking up the word idle in the dictionary I realized
the various meanings did not all apply to the thought that Christ was
conveying. Idle, when used in the
context of language means; of no real worth, importance, or significance. But Christ shows an eternal dichotomy when
speaking about idle words. What he
communicates is that the words we believe to be idle are not idle at all. Our words have eternal importance and
significance if it is through our words we are justified or condemned at our
final judgment.
I thought further. Why
use idle as opposed to purposeful words? Wouldn’t we be judged more by words we
carefully thought out and prepared to share with others? Is there a difference between the words
someone would choose to use for a Sacrament Meeting talk and the words they
would use in a private conversation with a friend? I’ve come to the conclusion that the words we
use in everyday conversations, in those unguarded moments when we feel
completely safe to air our personal opinions, are the words that most accurately
communicate our hearts and thoughts.
Just as Christ warned us, our words have power to do good or
conversely to do evil, to save us or damn us. Brigham Young said, “The
difference between God and the Devil is that God creates and organizes, while
the whole study of the Devil is to destroy.”
It would stand to reason that whatever builds people up serves the cause of the
Master, and whatever tears down serves the cause of the adversary. In the private moments we speak of others, or
even publicly when there is no fear of recrimination, what do we say? When we speak of others, do we speak
positively or negatively? Do we tear
down or do we build up?
When we became acquainted with the incredible Gaylord Branch
members one of the first peculiarities I noticed was their guarded
tongues. In all the meetings I attended
I never heard any derision, disparagement, or gossip of any kind. It was frustrating at the time because I
thought vital information was being withheld that would have made our service
more effective. Since then, I realize
how necessary guarding our words is for the Lord’s work to flourish.
The Lord is hastening the work of salvation everywhere, not
just in Gaylord: Not just overseas in
Africa, other missions, or in other wards. The Lord is hastening the work of
salvation in the Nampa 4th Ward.
Can we be trusted by our Savior to participate? Can our idle words communicate purpose and
convey pure hearts that are free of any unkind judgment of others? Can we build through our conversations and
not destroy? And most importantly, can
we develop the Christ-like attributes that would help those visiting our ward
and attending our classrooms feel the spirit of acceptance, tolerance, and
love? As the end draws near the Savior
invites all to partake in the blessings of Salvation. He invites everyone to come unto him, hear
His message of hope, use the atonement and make life changes. He invites all to
be baptized, and start anew; regardless of what sins have been committed, what
errors have been made, or sufferings endured. Should we do any different? I
pray we can adopt a spirit of inclusion and love for all. I know we can!
Very well said Sister Adamson. Thank you. I know I needed to be reminded of this message.
ReplyDelete